A summer getaway is a chance to relax and catch up with family. But if you’re part of the 42% of adults in the UK who snore, sharing a tent or a hotel room with friends and relatives can put a dampener on the entire holiday.
A Snoreeze YouGov survey revealed that 31% of snorers are more conscious of their problem when sharing a hotel room. Snoring is easy to ignore when you’re at home alone, but it becomes a much bigger issue when it keeps others awake. Not getting enough sleep can lead to irritability, poor concentration and daytime drowsiness – a recipe for disaster when children and adults are involved.
While many snorers feel embarrassed about their night-time noise, the majority don’t try to fix the root cause of their problem. But by following a few simple steps, you can help prevent the issue arising, and make sure your holiday is full of energy and fun.
1) Avoid drinking too much. Alcohol relaxes the muscles in your throat, increasing your risk of snoring. Cutting down on the holiday cocktails will help limit the relaxation effect on muscle tissue.
2) Ask the hotel reception for an extra pillow. You might be snoring because you’re congested. Raising the level of your head while you sleep can drain your sinuses and help you breathe more easily.
3) Work out what type of snorer you are. There are different types of snoring – and knowing which type you are will help you buy the right product to treat the problem.
- Snoring with congestion. If you’re snoring because your nose is blocked (or if you’re suffering from a cold/allergies), a Nasal Spray or Nasal Strips will work well for you.
- Everyday snoring. If you tend to sleep on your back and snore fairly loudly, a product targeting the back of the throat can help. Try Throat Spray or Oral Strips.
- Loud snoring/obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). If you snore very loudly, or if you suffer from OSA, an Oral Device could be the best option. If you suspect you have OSA, you should visit your doctor as soon as possible for treatment advice.
Still not sure what kind of snorer you are? Click here to use our “Diagnose your Snoring” tool.
With the summer fast approaching, there’s no need to be worried you’ll keep the whole family awake on holiday. By taking control of your snoring, your family will get the rest and relaxation they came away for.